A Book of Lenten Devotions By and For FUMC and Friends
Lent will begin in mid-February. And your Discipleship Team has an invitation for you. We plan to create a booklet of Lenten Devotions—written by our own church members and friends—to enrich our journeys toward the Cross. Our hope is that you will want to tell a bit of your faith story with our congregation—a time you felt especially close to Christ, a moment of healing, a story of your faith development, a memory of someone who shared the Gospel with you.
We estimate that stories need to be less than 200 words in length; include a scripture if possible and end with a brief prayer.
Karen and your pastors will be happy to help edit if needed. The Discipleship Team will assemble the booklets for all to enjoy. We believe this project will be a wonderful way for us to get to know each other as we share parts of our life stories.
Please send your devotions electronically if at all possible. Email them to email@example.com.
Devotions due to the education office by January 15.
A sample format is available for download here. (Think of the way a page of the Upper Room looks.)
Please let us know that you plan to submit a devotion. Signup is on the Adult Bulletin Board.
Here are some suggestions that might help you get started:
- When did Jesus help you through an exceptionally difficult time? (Loss of a loved one – Spouse, Parent, Child); a difficult medical diagnosis, divorce, loss of a job, auto accident, relocation, separation from loved ones such as a military deployment, etc.)
- When did you experience Jesus in a special way in nature? (In a grand location such as the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone National Park, Alaska, the Holy land, etc.; the metamorphosis of an insect, the opening of a flower, the germination of a seed, a snow fall, at the ocean, etc.)
- When did you experience Jesus at a joyous time in your life? (The birth of a child/grandchild, a wedding, reconnecting with a friend/family member after a long separation, getting a new job or promotion, buying a house, getting something you have always wanted, at a confirmation, etc.)
- When did a friend show you God’s love in a special way?
- How have you seen God’s love through a pet?
- When did a Bible verse, sermon or devotional speak to you in a special way?
- Did God ever call you to do something not in your nature? (Go on a mission trip, give a testimonial, volunteer in a different way, give something meaningful away, etc.)
We hope you will prayerfully consider contributing to our Lenten Devotional booklet this year! Please contact Karen with any questions or for more information.